Friday, February 28, 2014

The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen



I picked this book up because my friend’s daughter recommended it. I am so glad that I did. Jessica is a high school track star, and she’s just run her personal best in the 400 meter. Right after the race, her team is in a horrible bus accident. One of her teammates dies in the accident, and Jessica loses a leg. The Running Dream is about Jessica’s fight to recover. Jessica is told that she’ll be able to walk again with a prosthetic leg, but what she really wants to do is run. Her recovery doesn’t happen as quickly or as easily as she’d like it to, but she learns some important lessons along the way.

I really liked this book. It’s told completely from Jessica’s point of view. Even though some subplots could be told by other characters, Van Draanen sticks with Jessica’s story. I like that we hear her story throughout the book, because it makes it easier to connect with her. This book is sad, emotional, funny, and uplifting. Try it and let me know what you think.


If you liked The Running Dream, you might also like Wonder by R.J.Palacio

Carrie

No comments: