Friday, October 23, 2015

I Crawl Through It by A.S. King



I would generally describe myself as a fan of King's work; she is an author I highly recommend and Glory O'Brien's History of the Future may be one of my favorite books in general. Many of her works throw in magical realism/surrealism element and usually I think this works and makes her stories unique. Her newest book, I Crawl Through It, takes this fantastical element and runs with it. There are four main perspectives, Stanzi's (which isn't her real name), Gustav's, Lansdale's, and China's and these perspectives all exist in the surreal. Stanzi loves dissection, always wears a lab coat and her crush/best friend is building a helicopter she can only see on Tuesdays. Gustav is building the mostly invisible helicopter. Lansdale is a liar and her hair visibly grows by the day. And China has decided to swallow herself and is a walking set of organs. Gradually the reader is introduced to the real issues and traumas each of these characters are facing and have experienced. While, I have to say this was my least favorite of King's works, it still left me thinking about it after I put it down. Definitely not a light or casual read, but if you're interested in putting some work into your reading and looking for something completely different this may be for you.

Lisa

No comments: